Sunday, May 20, 2012

Exploring

   So I need to update. Thursday afternoon I topped up my oyster card and headed out on the national rail from Chiswick and took the tube then to Chancery Lane. I found a Sainsbury's (yay grocery store!) and took out some money. I walked around a bit and found my way to the British Museum, sat outside people watching. Now I know most museums around here are free...but I didn't go in. I sat eating my 'crisps' and listening to all the conversations going on around me. It's amazing to hear so many different languages being spoken at one time! I didn't feel so bad pulling out my map to figure out where to go next, because quite a few others were doing the same. It's odd, I feel like a tourist...but not.
Outside British Museum
   I stopped outside the entrance to the museum because someone was playing a bag pipe. Now, in Chicago...you can hear someone playing music often downtown. This is different...Someone playing a bagpipe, and then you walk a few feet or so away and there's someone trying to play guitar getting severely drowned out! I think he should have moved farther down. At least then people would have heard him. Anyway, I snapped a pic of the bagpipe person!
 
    After my trip by the museum, I stopped by a souvenir shop, saw a board listed full of day tours I can't currently afford. I was on a mission to find London A-Z...
didn't find it in that store, but did in a different store somewhere down the road. It was on an outside stand, and then went in to pay for it. It cost £6.50 (so about $10.30) ...walking all the way to the back and there were about five or six men just standing there. It sort of creeped me out a bit...so I couldn't really wait to get out of there. I couldn't figure out if the men were supposedly 'working' there or what.

   The rest of the night was spent at the pub, called Knights Templar. I met up with Kevin to have a Pint. Now I realize a Pint in the U.S. is not the same amount as in the U.K., apparently a U.K. Pint..would be about 19 U.S. ounces...whereas the U.S. Pint is 16 ounces. The one Pint lasted me all night. One thing that amazed me was that...here, you are allowed to take the glass outside! Back in Toledo...atleast the bar I sometimes go too..you aren't allowed to take drinks outside (unless maybe at a patio?). Also...the bathroom was amazing. I mean...you walk in and there's a large sofa...each stall has hard wood. I never thought going to the bathroom could be a neat adventure..and I wasn't even drunk! I wish I would have taken a picture of the sink and sofa part...maybe a reason to return there some day??

   I did take a picture while I was outside though, absolutely beautiful architecture! I'm not sure what the building is. So if anyone has any idea..please feel free to let me know!

    Not a bad view to have while drinking a Pint, outside yea?

3 comments:

  1. What kind of beer did you have??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember what it was..some kind of Ale.

      Delete
    2. I like ale better anyway. Less fizzy. Glad you are having adventures!

      Delete